Construction insurance is a crucial component of the construction industry, as it helps protect construction businesses, contractors, and other stakeholders from various risks and liabilities that may arise during construction projects.
Common types of construction insurance:
- General Liability Insurance: General liability insurance is essential for construction businesses. It provides coverage for bodily injury and property damage that may occur during the construction process. It can also cover legal fees in case of lawsuits related to third-party injuries or property damage.
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance: This insurance is mandatory in most places and provides coverage for medical expenses and lost wages for construction workers who are injured on the job. It helps protect both the worker and the employer from the financial impact of workplace injuries.
- Commercial Auto Insurance: Construction companies often use a fleet of vehicles and heavy equipment. Commercial auto insurance covers damage to company vehicles, as well as liability for accidents involving those vehicles. It can also cover non-owned or hired vehicles used for business purposes.
- Builder’s Risk Insurance: Builder’s risk insurance, also known as course of construction insurance, covers damage to a building or structure while it’s under construction. This includes coverage for damage due to fire, vandalism, theft, and certain natural disasters. It typically protects the property owner, contractors, and subcontractors.
- Professional Liability Insurance (E&O): Architects, engineers, and other design professionals in the construction industry may need professional liability insurance. It protects them from claims related to errors or omissions in their professional work, which could lead to project delays or additional costs.
- Contractor’s Pollution Liability Insurance: This type of insurance is essential for construction projects that involve hazardous materials or environmental risks. It covers liability for pollution or environmental damage caused by the construction activities.
- Umbrella/Excess Liability Insurance: Umbrella insurance provides additional coverage beyond the limits of other liability policies. It’s useful when a construction project involves higher risks, as it offers extra financial protection in case of large liability claims.
- Equipment Insurance: Construction equipment and machinery are expensive and can be vulnerable to theft, damage, or breakdowns. Equipment insurance provides coverage for these risks, helping construction companies repair or replace their equipment.
- Performance Bonds: While not insurance in the traditional sense, performance bonds are financial guarantees that ensure contractors complete their projects according to the terms of the contract. If the contractor fails to do so, the bond compensates the project owner for the financial loss.
- Subcontractor Default Insurance (SDI): SDI covers the financial impact of subcontractor defaults or failures to perform on a construction project. It can help mitigate delays and cost overruns resulting from subcontractor issues.
- Owner-Controlled Insurance Programs (OCIP) and Contractor-Controlled Insurance Programs (CCIP): These are project-specific insurance programs that consolidate various insurance coverages under a single policy. They are typically initiated by the project owner (OCIP) or general contractor (CCIP) to ensure consistency and control over insurance on the construction site.
- Inland Marine Insurance: This insurance covers the transportation of materials, equipment, and tools to and from the construction site. It protects against theft, damage, or loss during transit.
Construction insurance needs can vary widely depending on the size and nature of the project, so it’s essential for construction professionals to work with insurance experts to tailor coverage to their specific requirements.
Need Help to Review Your Insurance? Contact Us.
SunGate Insurance Agency Coverage
Home Insurance, Auto Insurance, Health Insurance, Group Insurance, Property Insurance, RV Insurance, Renters Insurance, Event Insurance, Insurance Bonds, Life Insurance, Business Insurance, Workers Comp, Flood Insurance, Umbrella Insurance and more!
Located in Lake Mary, Florida (serving clients Nationwide and locally in Orlando, Maitland, Heathrow, Longwood, Windermere, Kissimmee, Orange County, Seminole County, Lake County, Clermont, Leesburg, Mt. Dora, Winter Garden, Davenport and surrounding Central Florida areas.)